Candles may be pretty to look at but they are one way home fires are caused.
Remember, a candle is an open flame, which means that it can easily ignite anything that can burn. Roughly one-third of home fires start in the bedroom and December is the peak time of year for home candle fires.
Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won’t tip over easily.
Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
Don’t burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage. Never use candles.
Consider using flame less candles in your home.
Never leave a child alone in a room with a burning candle.
Keep matches and lighters up high and out of children’s reach, in locked cabinet.