Poison Control Number: 1-800-222-1222
Poisoning is one of the most common health emergencies for children nationwide.
Poisons can be found in typical household items such as medication, food, cleaning products, lawn and garden supplies, automotive supplies and personal care products. The Cosumnes Fire Department recommends following these important steps to make sure that the children in your life are kept safe.
- Store medicines in their original containers and place them out of reach and sight of children. Use child resistant packages if possible.
- Only give medications to the person for whom the doctor has prescribed it.
- Avoid taking medications in the dark or without reading the label first.
- Clean out old medications periodically, flush them down the toilet or drain.
- Never tell a child that medication “tastes like candy”.
- Do not take medicine in front of children; they love to do what adults do.
Food Safety Tips
- Wash counter tops, hands and preparation utensils with warm soapy water, before and after preparation.
- Thaw meat and poultry in the refrigerator, not at room temperature. Avoid leaving food, that can spoil, out for more than a few hours.
- Thoroughly cook all meat, poultry, eggs and seafood.
- Never put something that is not food in a food or beverage container.
- Do not store food and household cleaners in the same cabinet; they often look alike.
Household Product Tips
- Follow product label warnings about not mixing products, ventilating the area, and wearing proper personal safety equipment.
- Keep all products in their original containers, never store products in glasses or containers that will later be used for food or drinks.
- Destroy all old products, do not throw the actual product away, pour it down the toilet or drain, and then rinse the container out before discarding it.
- Keep food and household products separate.
- Keep cosmetics, personal care products, prescription and over-the-counter medicines, cleaning products, dietary supplements and vitamins, pesticides and lighter fluid, locked up or out of reach.
- Be sure household plants are out of reach.
- Regular household cleaning products are the major cause of accidental poisoning in children. Products that are especially dangerous are those that cause chemical burns (drain openers, toilet bowl cleaners, laundry products).
- Antifreeze and windshield washer fluid are dangerous to swallow. Their sweet taste and smell makes them especially appealing to children. Gasoline and oil can be also be harmful if ingested.
- Hair sprays and straighteners can cause burns if inhaled or ingested. Mouthwash contains alcohol, which can be dangerous to small children. Some nail care products may also be poisonous if consumed.
- If you are visiting or caring for little ones, put purses or bags that might contain medication or other products where a child can’t reach it.