The First Fire Department
The roots of the Cosumnes Community Services District Fire Department date back to 1893, when the old Elk Grove Fire Department started with a single hose cart and a small group of dedicated volunteers, and 1921, when the all-volunteer Galt Fire Protection District was formed.
Today, the 2 fire departments operate as one, serving growing communities with progressive, modern firefighting practices and equipment.
The Cosumnes Fire Department is the product of two mergers. The first, in 1985, combined the old Elk Grove Fire Department with one of the oldest parks district in the state, the Elk Grove Parks and Recreation District, to become the Elk Grove Community Services District.
The second was in 2006, when the CSD merged its fire services with the Galt Fire Protection District and the District became the Cosumnes Community Services District.